2009 European Elections
The 2009 European Elections were held on 4 June 2009.
Voting took place in ten regions across England and Wales and seats were allocated in each region using a system of proportional representation.
The Green Party retained their two MEPs: in London and the South East.
European Election Results 2009
|Yorkshire & the Humber||104,456||8.5%||0|
Our candidate lists for each region in England and Wales are below, with links to details of each candidate.
Find out more about the campaign in each region via the region links in the middle of this page.
Dr. Rupert Read is a Senior Lecturer at the University of East Anglia, Norwich. He is one of 13 Green Councillors on Norwich City Council - the largest Green group in England. Active in politics for many years, Rupert worked with the Clinton Presidential campaign whilst working on his Ph.D in the USA.
East Midlands region:
Sue Mallender is a councillor for Lady Bay ward on Rushcliffe Borough Council. She worked as a teacher for many years and more recently as a play development officer. Sue has lived in West Bridgford for 29 years. She is married to fellow councillor, Richard Mallender.
Jean has been London's Green MEP since 1999. In the European Parliament, she works on issues concerning employment, poverty and equal opportunities. She speaks for the Green Group on asylum and immigration policy. Originally from Essex, Jean lives in East London, where she taught for many years before her election.
North West region:
Peter works for a Parenting Support Charity on Merseyside. He has extensive experience as a lecturer and of working in the social care sector. Peter is married with a young baby.
North East region:
Shirley lives in South Shields with her husband and nine year old son. She works at a local primary school and helps run the community Deaf children's club. Shirley is South Tyneside Co-ordinator of the Keep Metro Public campaign, opposing privatisation of the Tyne and Wear Metro, a vital regional public service.
South East region:
Caroline is the Green Party Leader, and has been an MEP since 1999. In 2007, Caroline was voted Politician of the Year by Observer readers in their annual Ethical Awards and in 2008 was judged one of the Guardian’s top “eco-heroes.” She is an expert on climate change, world trade and peace issues. Caroline is married with two children.
South West region:
Ricky is a Modern Languages teacher at a Specialist Language College in Barnstaple, North Devon. He has been a Town Councillor for five years. Ricky stood in the General Election in 2005 and has been selected to run again next time. He has been a Green Party member for 25 years.
Jake was brought up in West Wales and now lives in Cardiff. He is a Welsh speaker. Jake provides advice and support to businesses and public bodies to help them improve their environmental performance. He is married with three children.
West Midlands region:
Felicity has been an active member of the Green Party for 25 years, serving on different committees at both local and national level. She was previously the agriculture spokesperson for the party.
Yorkshire and the Humber region:
Martin Hemingway, is a seasoned community politician. He served on Leeds city council for Labour from 1990 - 2002. He campaigns against the expansion of Leeds Bradford airport and on pesticides. Formerly an archaeologist, he now teaches Geography and Law in a Bradford School. He is married and has two children.
Credits and Thank You's
On behalf of the party, the Green Party Executive would like to thank the following.
- Beacon Press - Minimanifesto Printing
- Cherry Puddicombe - Artwork
- Children of Green Party Members & Supporters - Modelling
- CSD Print - Sign Board Printing
- Glyn Thomas - Photography
- Hillingdon Greenprint - Manifesto Printing (020 8868 7852)
- Howies - Kid's T-shirts
- Jim Cooper - Artwork
- Kester Edmonds - Database work
- Living Lightly Limited - Management of Artwork, Printing and Delivery (01422 847500)
- Matt Wootton - Artwork
- Nationwide Express Parcels - Pallet Handling
- Philip Sainty - Editor
- Steve Chadburn - Artwork
- Wellingborough Mail Centre - Address Overprinting
- York Mailing Ltd - Printing
- Jim Killock - Design
- Straight to the Point - Readability (01422 845370)
- Difference Corporation - Phone Numbers
- Direct Call - Phone Response System
- South West Green Party - Information Pack Dispatch
Party Election Broadcast
- Bikini Films - Jonty Toosey, Phil Barnes, Heywit Abate
- glue - Tom Gildon, James Leigh, Darren Giles, Tanya Hudson, Robert Morgan, Carla
Fox, Mark Cridge, Maria Stark, Rob Simpkins, Simon Cam
- Post - Matt Chodan, Adrian Murray, Duncan Napier-West
- Music - Domino Records, Franx Ferdinand, Universal Music
- Crew - Mark McPadden, Dennis Madden, Catherine Brown, Mickey Richards, Dave Rosen, Anna Sheldrake, Dave De Han, Tom Keeling, Katya Wildman, Basil Anastasi, Katie MaCaulay, Alex Parkinson, Jorn Wilting
And of course, Green Party Executive would like to thank and congratulate all those thousands of Green Party members and officers for their personal efforts in fighting the 2009 election campaign. Well done!