The Safeguarding Commitment for Green Party members and employees

The Green Party’s Safeguarding Policy states that:

No child, young person or adult at risk should have their welfare compromised through their involvement with the Green Party. The Green Party is committed to developing a Party culture whereby all Green Party members feel empowered to report safeguarding concerns in the knowledge that they will be appropriately acted on. The Green Party is committed to developing ever more effective systems for safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk.

By agreeing to and abiding by the Safeguarding Commitment you can help uphold this policy and help to make children, young people and adults at risk who have contact with the Green Party safer. The Safeguarding Commitment should be read and applied alongside the Code of Conduct that applies to all Green Party members. You can read more about Safeguarding, the definitions we use for children, young people and adults at risk, and our Safeguarding Procedures here.

Urgent Action

Whenever you believe that a specific child or young person is being abused or neglected, your first action should always be to report your concerns immediately to the police or to the Children’s Services section of the local authority. You can contact the police by phoning 999 (in emergency) or 101 (if time allows) and following the instructions of the emergency services personnel or by phoning your local authority and saying that you wish to report a child protection concern.

If you have concerns but are unsure about whether a specific child or young person is being abused or neglected, you can discuss your concerns with an adviser on the NSPCC’s helpline. You can contact a trained NSPCC helpline counsellor 24 hours a day by email or by using an online reporting form ( You can also telephone the Helpline on 0808 800 5000 on Monday to Friday 8am – 10pm or 9am – 6pm at the weekends.

If your concerns relate to a specific adult at risk, you should contact the Adult Social Care section of the local authority or in an emergency always contact the police by dialling 999. The police can also be contacted about an adult at risk by dialling 101, if an emergency response is not thought to be necessary.

If your concern relates to a child, young person or adult at risk suffering abuse or neglect as a result of contact with the Green Party, it will ultimately be important for the Green Party’s Safeguarding Officer to be informed that a report has been made. However, once a matter has been reported to the police or the local authority you must be guided by them about what can be said to whom and when. In some cases the police or local authority will insist that nothing is said to any third party so as not to risk impeding investigations or protective actions. Contact or 020 36919 391 to report your concerns.


As a Green Party member/employee I agree:

I understand that I should report any safeguarding concerns to both my local Party Chair AND the Green Party’s National Safeguarding Officer ( or through 020 36919 391).

I understand that breaches of this Safeguarding Commitment on my part could result in disciplinary action from the Party.

I commit to bearing the Commitment closely in mind, and adhering to it, throughout my time as a Green Party member.